Sunday, October 23, 2011

To my little boy, with love from his mommy

Dear Jack,

Last night, you woke up crying at 12AM.  I looked over at your Daddy desperately hoping that he heard you and would get you, but he was snoring away.  I pulled the covers back, sat up, put my feet on the floor, and with a big sigh walked to your door.  I pushed it open.  I walked to your crib.  I looked down at you, my precious son.  When you heard me, you looked up at me with tears in your eyes.  "Mommy, hold me," they said.  And I could not resist you.

I picked you up and walked you to the rocking chair.  We sat down hoping for peace.  I held your small, yet heavy body, clothed in the cutest fire truck footed pajamas, close to my heart.  As a stroked your hair, I sang to you.  I sang songs that hadn't been in my head for years.  Songs that my mother sang to me.  Songs of peace and comfort.  Songs of joy and love.  Songs of Jesus.  Peace came.

You fell back asleep in approximately 2.3 seconds, yet I continued to rock you.  I could feel your heartbeat.  I could feel you inhale and exhale.  I looked at you, my precious boy.  I prayed for you.  In that moment, I cherished you in a unique way.  I thanked God that He brought you to me in His perfect timing; He picked you for me, little one.

That early, early morning I thought about what a privilege and joy you are.  You have taught me more in your first year of life than I ever thought possible.    You have taught me patience.  You have taught me sacrifice.  You have taught me selflessness.  You have have taught me what true love is.  You have taught me about our Father's love for us.

I didn't really want to put you back in your crib that night.  I felt as if I could hold you forever.  I wanted to hold that chubby hand as long as it would stay in mine.  I wanted to feel your little body nestled close against mine for all of eternity.  I love you sweet boy.  I always will.

Love,  Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment