Saturday, November 27, 2010

BABY JACK IS HERE!!!

James Jackson is already 1 month old.

And I have not updated my blog since I was 37 weeks pregant.

TIME FLIES!

It's time for me to document Jack's birth story:

I was put on bedrest because I had some elevated blood pressure towards the end of my pregnancy. It was never pre-eclampsia because I never had proteine in my urine, but the doctors were concerned nonetheless. During these last few weeks, I watched TV, read A LOT of blogs (pioneer woman kept me occupied for numerous hours), checked my blood pressure, took naps, cuddled the dog and assured her that we would always love her, checked my blood pressure, watched some more TV, and checked my blood pressure. I was very paranoid about the blood pressure thing, probably because I like google too much. My sister did come for about 2 weeks to stay with me, and I will be forever grateful to her for that.

My due date was 10/23. I prayed that baby Jack would come early, but by my 39 week appointment, I was only 1 centimeter dilated. 10/23, a Saturday, came and went with nothing. I was having some cramping, which I hoped was early signs of labor, but really wasn't much of anything as I would later find out. My doctor went ahead and scheduled an induction for 10/25 because of my high blood pressure. She wanted to do it earlier, but I REALLY wanted my baby to come out on his own, and so she let me wait until 10/25.
The weekend passed and Monday, the day of my induction, arrived. All day long I hoped and prayed that I would go into labor without any interventions. I begged God to let it happen naturally. I had read too many horror stories of women who were induced only to have to have a c-section, and in some cases emergency c-sections. I did not want that to happen to me...and so I prayed and prayed, but God had other plans.
We were told to wait until we got a call that would inform us that we were to get ourselves to the hospital. The weirdest thing about this was that the call could come between the hours of 5-10pm. By 5PM I had everything ready to go, my bag, Jim's bag, baby's bag, pillows, carseat, snacks, everything. I ate somme chick fila, aware of the fact that I would not be eating for a very long time. Well, time went by VERY slowly during these hours. We watched Friends, the office, and stared at our cell phones. I even ate some more. We thought for sure the call would come at any second, but as they say, "a watched pot never boils." Finally, at 9:30, irritated and anxious, we decided to call the hospital to check on the status. They apologized that we hadn't been called, but apparently many little babies decided they wanted to be born that night. The nurse said she would call back, and she did about 5 minutes later with news that it was time for us to get on our way.
I can't really put into words what that drive to the hospital was like. I was so full of emotions. I had pictured this drive very differenly. I pictured pain, screaming, and me just yelling at Jim to get me there. This drive was eerily serene. Jim and I were both nervous, but also experienced a peace that I so desperately needed about the induction. We drove, mostly in silence, but I know we were thinking the same things...our lives were about to change in the most drastic way every imaginable...little did we know just how drastic it was going to be.
When we got to the hospital, I was given a gown, and eventually was given cervidil, and we were told to get some sleep...HA HA HA. Yeah. right. Sleeping in a hospital bed when you are a normal size doesn't appeal to me, being over 9 months pregnant with HORRIBLE- cramps, hooked up to machines, having your blood pressure checked automatically every 15 minutes to the point where you feel your arm my just be cut in two...complete torture (well that may be a tad over dramatic, but really, I didn't sleep).
The next morning they started me on pitocin. I started having contractions, and I remember thinking to myself. This isn't so bad. I can handle this. This lasted for about an hour. Then they became HORRENDOUS. I had read that the pitocin makes the contractions come on strong and hard. This was very true for me. and let me just say, I tried to do it naturally. I had even hired a doula, a sweet southern lady whose very presence was calming. We tried all of the different positions that we could do with me hooked up to an IV and all the other things that prevented me being able to walk. I sat on ball, I rocked from side to side with Jim, I even got on all fours....until I started feeling nausiated. At one point, I was in the bathroom, having a contraction, and throwing up. I HATE throwing up. and that was when I started crying. I don't know if it was the pain, the hormones, the vomit, or what, but I wanted that epidural. The weird thing was, I didn't want the doula to not have anything to do. I think I suffered through another hour or so of contractions simply because I didn't want to disappoint the doula. However, I did end up getting the epidural. I was tired. I do remember saying to Jim and the doula, "does this make me a wimp?" and now, in hindsight, anyone who has EVER experienced childbirth IS NOT A WIMP.
One I was administered that epidural, I fely absolutely blissful.
Well, maybe not blissful, but it was amazing what a world of difference the epidural made. I mean I even watched Oprah (that woman really is involved in everything).
Finally, at about 715PM, it was time to push. All I really remember was that the nurse told me that many first time mothers have to push for about 3 hours. Hearing this, I was determined for that NOT to be me.
James Jackson Ranieri entered the world at 8:20 PM with head full of jet black hair. He weighed 8lb 12oz and was 21 inches long and beautiful. The first time I saw him, I thought my baby is perfect. and he his. every inch of him. he has the cutest button nose and the most striking eyes. I love his little pouty lips that remind me of his daddy. I love holding his tiny feet in the palm of my hand. I love it when he grabs ahold of my finger.

I can't believe that baby Jack is finally here. God is so good. He has ALWAYS taken care of me and has given me the most beautiful baby boy.

1 comment:

  1. Stooge! Thanks for sharing the birth story:) I love hearing about them. You aren't a wimp, as you have already stated, and I smiled to myself when you talked about the doula and how you "didnt' want her to not have anything to do"...that is the true mark of a mom: always putting others' needs first:)
    love you, and jack is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete