Thursday, October 14, 2010

An update

There has been a lot going on since the last time I posted...wow. I am currently 38 weeks 6 days pregnant!! ahhh!! I really cannot believe I am so close to the end. So, here's what has been going on:

Last Thursday I had my regular weekly checkup. As usual, the nurse took my blood pressure and it was a little on the high side. I have NEVER had high blood pressure. It's amazing what pregnancy can do to a woman's body. They had my lay on my left side, and then they took it again...it was completely normal! However, they started asking all these questions. I had had a headache for 2 days that wouldn't go away, and I was having rib pain. Apparently, that was concerning. I didn't really know why...but I did realize later. The doctor decided to send us over to the hospital for tests! I held it together pretty well until I realized what exactly they wanted to test for: HELLP syndrome. The headache, high BP, and rib pain are all symptoms. What was REALLY concerning to me was that a co worker of mine developed HELLP syndrome and lost her baby. So, of course, I was brought to tears with worry as I lay in an uncomfortable hospital bed, hooked up to all sorts of monitors, in a gown, filling out all kinds of paperwork, feeling like I was going to have to have my baby right then and there. HOWEVER, all the tests came back negative, my BP was in the normal range the ENTIRE 4 hours we were there, and baby jack's heart rate was perfect! What good news! Jim and I were VERY relieved! The only thing: BEDREST for the rest of my pregnancy.

The news of bedrest was EXTREMELY shocking. It meant no more work, no more nesting, nothing. It was the most surreal news. I hadn't tied up any of the loose ends I was going to tie up at work, I hadn't said goodbye to my co-workers or my students...NOTHING. I wanted to be able to clean my house, organize, and make some dinners to freeze for after the baby comes. God had other plans. I think He knew that teaching was just beginning to be a little too much for a 9 month pregnant woman. and so, we went home, relieved and thanking God that everything was ok.

Oh, I had the most amazing nurse while I was there. She was straight up from Ireland, complete with the thickest Irish accent, and said things like, "Can I get you anything else Lassie?" Seriously, amazing. Who knew Irish accents could be so comforting? Maybe she will be there when I actually do give birth....I really liked her...

Today, we went back to the doctor. The same thing happened. My BP was high at first, and then when they took it again, it was completely normal. The doctor said that as long as it is going down, that was a good thing, but they aren't going to let me go past my due date! I haven't dilated AT ALL, which is somewhat disappointing, but I know God has a plan. As of today, we have an induction scheduled for Monday, October 25!!!! I am praying that little Jack decides to come on his own before that, but either way...this is happening!

No comments:

Post a Comment